Tuesday 11 June 2013

Day 5 comments


Some of the photos have little clues in them as to where the story is heading. Some are subtle, others a bit more like a half brick in a sock to the face. This would be one of those. Obviously the lift is from Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven".

Something that I loved about the original Crow graphic novel by James O'Barr was the fact that it served as a touchstone to other things. Whilst some people loved it for the cathartic violence, I loved the fact it extended my learning. I was already into romantic poetry like Byron and Shelley, but it pointed me to Rimbaud and the French symbolists. I dug the Cure but didn't know about Joy Division. I think too many of the newer versions go for the violence and miss this aspect.




During this story you will see various references or Easter Eggs. They are either there as clues about the character or about myself, I leave you to decide which.

No comments:

Post a Comment